Frequently Asked Questions
1. Simopoulos AP. Omega-3 fatty acids in health and disease and in growth and development. Am J Clin Nutr 1991;54:438-63.
2. Simopoulos AP, Kifer RR, Martin RE, eds. Health effects of polyunsaturated fatty acids in seafoods. Orlando, FL: Academic Press, 1986.
3. Galli C, Simopoulos AP. Dietary 3 and 6 fatty acids. Biological effects and nutritional essentiality. New York: Plenum Press, 1989.
4. Simopoulos AP, Kifer RR, Martin RE, Barlow SM, eds. Health effects of 3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in seafoods. World Rev Nutr Diet 1991;66:1-592.
5. Galli C, Simopoulos AP, Tremoli E, eds. Fatty acids and lipids: biological aspects. World Rev Nutr Diet 1994;75:1-197.
6. Galli C, Simopoulos AP, Tremoli E, eds. Effects of fatty acids and lipids in health and disease. World Rev Nutr Diet 1994;76:1-152.
7. Salem N Jr, Simopoulos AP, Galli C, Lagarde M, Knapp HR, eds. Fatty acids and lipids from cell biology to human disease. Lipids 1996;31(suppl):S1-326.
8. Burr ML, Fehily AM, Gilbert JF, et al. Effect of changes in fat, fish and fibre intakes on death and myocardial reinfarction: diet and reinfarction trial (DART). Lancet 1989;2:757-61.
9. de Lorgeril M, Renaud S, Mamelle N, et al. Mediterranean -linolenic acid-rich diet in secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. Lancet 1994;343:1454-9.
10. Morris MC, Sacks F, Rosner B. Fish oil to reduce blood pressure: a meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 1994;120(suppl):10.
11. Appel LF, Miller ED, Seidler AJ, Whelton PK. Diet supplementation with fish oils and blood pressure reduction: a meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 1994;120(suppl):9.
12. Appel LJ, Miller ER, Seidler AJ, Whelton PK. Does supplementation of diet with “fish oil” reduce blood pressure? A meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials. Arch Intern Med 1993;153:1429-38.
13. Raheja BS, Sadikot SM, Phatak RB, Rao MB. Significance of the n-6/n-3 ratio for insulin action in diabetes. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1993;683:258-71.
14. Connor WE, Prince MJ, Ullmann D, et al. The hypotriglyceridemic effect of fish oil in adult-onset diabetes without adverse glucose control. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1993;683:337-40.
15. De Caterina R, Caprioli R, Giannessi D, et al. n-3 Fatty acids reduce proteinuria in patients with chronic glomerular disease. Kidney Int 1993;44:843-50.
16. Donadio JV Jr, Bergstralh EJ, Offord KP, Spencer DC, Holley KE. A controlled trial of fish oil in IgA nephropathy. Mayo Nephrology Collaborative Group. N Engl J Med 1994;331:1194-9.
17. Kremer JM. Effects of modulation of inflammatory and immune parameters in patients with rheumatic and inflammatory disease receiving dietary supplementation of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids. Lipids 1996;31(suppl):S243-7.
18. Stenson WF, Cort D, Rodgers J, et al. Dietary supplementation with fish oil in ulcerative colitis. Ann Intern Med 1992;116:609-14.
19. Belluzzi A, Brignola C, Campieri M, Pera A, Boschi S, Miglioli M. Effect of an enteric-coated fish-oil preparation on relapses in Crohn’s disease. N Engl J Med 1996;334:1557-60.
20. Shahar E, Folsom AR, Melnick SL, et al. Dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and smoking-related chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 1994;331:228-33
21. J. Thomas Brenna, Norman Salem, Andrew J. Sinclair, Stephen C. Cunnane, for the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids, ISSFAL. ƒ¿-Linolenic acid supplementation and conversion to n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in humans, 2009 ; Volume 80, Issue 2-3,pages 85-91
22. US Department of Health and Human Services AfHRaQ. Effects of omega-3 fatty acids on cardiovascular disease. Evid Rep Technol Assess (Summ) 2004;1 – 8.
23. Simopoulos AP. Essential fatty acids in health and chronic disease. Am J Clin Nutr 1999;70(3 Suppl):560S – 9S.
24. Eaton SB, Konner M. Paleolithic nutrition. A consideration of its nature and current implications. N Engl J Med 1985;312:283 -9.
25. Crawford MA. Fatty-acid ratios in free-living and domestic animals. Possible implications for atheroma. Lancet 1968;1:1329- 33.
26. van Vliet T, Katan MB. Lower ratio of n-3 to n-6 fatty acids in cultured than in wild fish. Am J Clin Nutr 1990;51:1- 2.
27. Simopoulos AP, Salem Jr N. Purslane: a terrestrial source of omega-3 fatty acids. N Engl J Med 1986;315:833.[/cs_text]